Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact health, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics put LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
The Workgroup: The Economic Stability Workgroup (ESWG) helps people obtain benefits to fulfill basic needs (food, shelter, medical care, and services to attain self-sufficiency); fights wage theft and denial of unemployment insurance benefits; and advises on wrongful terminations and discriminatory employment practices. ESWG also helps people who cannot afford to repay their student loans due to disability or who have attended for-profit colleges that engaged in predatory, deceptive, or illegal practices.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
• Active membership in the California State Bar with a minimum of one to two years’ experience;
• Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income people;
• Experience in providing assistance in employment law matters such as Unemployment Insurance Benefit appeals, Wage Claims, wrongful termination, employment discrimination, and other employment law issues.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal, organizational, and negotiation skills, and the ability to work as a team member;
• Previous public interest experience preferred; and
• Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0-hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
• Conduct extensive interviews with potential or retained clients;
• Provide direct representation including counsel and advice on employment issues including UIB, Wage Claims, wrongful termination, employment discrimination; representation before the Labor Commissioner in wage claims or before EDD in UIB appeals;
• Manage an independent caseload which includes developing case plans, conducting discovery, legal research, and representation in administrative or civil courts;
• Work collaboratively with team members.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Attorney- ESWG Employment” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability, and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Eligible employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.