Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact health, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics put LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Payroll Accountant.
*Assigned location is subject to change during course of employment.
• Minimum 2-3 years accounting and payroll processing experience;
• Experience with full cycle payroll and taxes;
• Experience with ADP systems and reports;
• Strong Excel skills (e.g., pivot tables, v-lookup);
• Knowledge of fund accounting and experience with fund accounting software;
• Prior experience working with multiple sources of government funding preferred;
• College degree in accounting preferred;
• Strong initiative, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
• Nonprofit experience preferred;
• Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0-hour workday to ensure project completion; and
• Willingness to learn new skills.
• Responsible for all phases of the payroll function and reconciliations;
• Support Accounts Payable function, including reviewing expense coding accuracy, expense allocation, and A/P related reports;
• Prepare monthly payroll analysis actual vs budget;
• Prepare and input all payroll-related journal entries;
• Prepare payroll cost projections monthly;
• Prepare reports in support of time allocation monitoring;
• Prepare and/or review bank reconciliations for all accounts in timely and efficient manner; and
• Other duties assigned.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Payroll Accountant” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.