Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles’ Veterans Justice Center is honored to provide free legal assistance to veterans living in Los Angeles County.
What is LAFLA’s Veterans Justice Center?
We are the oldest and largest free legal services program for veterans in Los Angeles. Every day, our expert team of attorneys and law clerks changes lives through direct representation, advice and community education.
Who is eligible for our free legal help?
All low-income veterans living in Los Angeles County are eligible for a free legal assessment. We can help anyone who served in the United States military, regardless of discharge status, length of service, or era of service. We also help some low-income family members of veterans. To learn if you qualify for free legal assistance, please call us at 800-399-4529.
What legal services does the Veterans Justice Center handle?
We provide free legal help across a wide range of issues, including:
- Housing and Landlord-Tenant Issues
Eviction assistance, including pre-eviction notices, unlawful detainers, and requests to change an eviction judgment. Subsidized housing assistance, including challenging denials, suspensions, and terminations of a subsidized housing voucher. Habitability assistance, including reasonable accommodations and ensuring that housing is safe.
- VA Benefits
Help with VA income benefits (service-connected compensation and non-service-connected pension). We prioritize working with veterans who have very low-income or who are totally disabled. Assistance with VA survivors benefits.
- Government Benefits
Help obtaining and keeping most government benefits, including Social Security Retirement, disability, and SSI benefits, General Relief, In Home Supportive Services, CalFresh (Food Stamps), unemployment Insurance Benefits, and CalWORKs.
- Changing a Criminal Record
Help with expunging or dismissing a criminal conviction and reducing a felony conviction to a misdemeanor (Prop 47).
- Driver’s License Reinstatement
Help to reinstate a suspended driver’s license, especially if suspended due to tickets or child support. We cannot help reinstate driver’s licenses that are suspended because of a DUI.
- Handling Tickets & Warrants (Citation Defense)
Help with fighting tickets and the warrants associated with the tickets. We cannot help with DUIs.
- Child Support Modification
Help to change a child support order for both current child support and child support arrears.
- Student Loan and GI Bill Issues
Help to reduce or discharge a student loan. Help with GI Bill issues, especially when a Veteran loses their GI Bill or doesn’t get the education that the school promised.
- Military Discharge Upgrades
Help to upgrade a less than honorable discharge and to change the reason for separation on the Veteran’s DD-214. We prioritize working with three types of Veterans: (1) Veterans living with post-traumatic stress (PTSD), (2) Veterans who were incorrectly diagnosed with a Personality Disorder in service, and (3) Veterans who were discharged because of homosexual activity and discrimination.
- Employment Problems
Help getting unpaid wages and Unemployment Insurance benefits. Help with terminations from employment due to active duty. We do not help with Workers Compensation or employment discrimination.
- Creditor Harassment
Help with stopping creditor harassment. We do not help with credit consolidation or bankruptcy.
How do I contact you for a free legal assessment?
It’s easy! For a free legal assessment, please call Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles at 800-399-4529 or drop in to of our legal clinics.
- To contact LAFLA, call us toll-free at 800-399-4529. Tell the receptionist that you are a veteran. Depending on your legal issue, you may be transferred to our Veterans Justice Center voice mail. If you are transferred to our Veterans Justice Center voice mail, leave your name, phone number, and legal issues. One of our veterans justice experts will contact you within two business days to see how we can help.
- Drop in to one of our legal clinics. Click here to see a calendar of our clinics and outreach events.
- Every Monday, 9:00 a.m.-noon at Patriotic Hall, 1816 S. Figueroa St., 4th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90015
- Every Wednesday, 6:00-8:00 p.m. (Must register by 6:30 p.m.), at Los Angeles Community Action Network. 838 E. 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021
- Second Tuesday of the month, 7:30-9:00 p.m. (Must register by 8:00 p.m.), at the Veterans Welcome Center at the West Los Angeles VA, Building 257. 11301 Wilshire Blvd., Building 257, Los Angeles, CA 90073
- First Thursday of the month, 4:00-6:00 p.m. (Must register by 5 p.m.), at U.S. Veterans Initiative, Residence Hall. 733 S. Hindry Ave., Ground Floor, Case Management Administrative Office, Inglewood, CA 90301