Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact health, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics put LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
**NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond July 2023.
*Assigned location is subject to change during course of employment.
• Active membership in the California State Bar;
• Knowledge of landlord-tenant, housing law, and the eviction process preferred;
• Litigation experience preferred;
• Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income persons;
• Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively within a highly stressful environment;
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team;
• Excellent writing skills;
• Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0-hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate; and
• Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
• Interview, advise, and provide limited legal services to clients experiencing housing and landlord/tenant issues;
• Review advice and limited services provided by housing intake paralegals to ensure high-quality legal assistance;
• Identify and track housing trends affecting tenants with low-income in Los Angeles;
• Work on policy issues related to housing and landlord/tenant issues;
• Collaborate effectively as part of a team that includes attorneys, paralegals, support staff, volunteers and students;
• Participate in community outreach projects, including the development of community education materials; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-Client Intake” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend. Please visit https://lafla.org/get-involved/careers/ for our salary scale for union, non-management staff.