Volunteer Opportunities for Attorneys
Law Firms and Individual Attorneys
LAFLA offers a variety of pro bono opportunities for law firms and individual attorneys, including staffing legal clinics, providing limited advice on cases, conducting educational outreach and trainings and handling major impact litigation cases. For all pro bono opportunities, LAFLA will work directly with the client and pro bono attorney to ensure that adequate support on the project or case is provided. Support includes:
- Pre-screened cases: LAFLA carefully screens potential pro bono cases to ensure they are impactful and have strong legal merit.
- Fee waivers: LAFLA’s clients are all low-income and qualify for court fee waivers. There is usually little to no out-of-pocket costs to the volunteer.
- Support on cases: When volunteer attorneys take on individual cases, LAFLA provides substantive, procedural and strategic support by serving as a resource to pro bono attorneys until final disposition of the case.
- Malpractice insurance: All volunteers handling LAFLA cases are covered by LAFLA’s malpractice insurance as the primary coverage.
- Training: LAFLA will provide substantive trainings to volunteers.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of our projects, please fill out the online application. Bilingual volunteers are especially encouraged to apply.