All LAFLA offices will be closed from Friday, December 22, 2023, through Monday, January 1, 2024. Our offices will reopen on Tuesday, January 2, 2024.
Our Self-Help Centers and Domestic Violence Clinics will remain open. For more information on available services click here.
Todas las oficinas de LAFLA estarán cerradas desde el viernes 22 de diciembre del 2023 hasta el lunes 1 de enero del 2024. Nuestras oficinas reabrirán el martes 2 de enero del 2024.
Nuestros Centros de Acceso Legal de Autoayuda y Clínicas de Violencia Doméstica permanecerán abiertos. Para obtener más información sobre los servicios disponibles, haga clic aquí.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Law Clerk. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
• Must be computer proficient; has experience with Word and Excel;
• Understanding of and commitment to social justice;
• Good written and oral communications skills;
• Demonstrated ability to work independently;
• Ability to work collaboratively with all LAFLA staff, clients, and community organizations; and
• Bilingual in an API language strongly preferred.
• Prepares legal papers (i.e., pleadings, motions, and forms);
• Conducts intake through hotlines and clinics and answers a variety of inquiries on the status of legal procedure, and on the procedural aspects of processing legal actions by the office, under attorney supervision;
• Assists attorneys or legal staff with interpreting for limited-English proficient clients in attorney-client meetings, administrative hearings, and translating correspondence;
• Provides support in short-term legal projects, including, but not limited to, trial preparation tasks;
• Participates in community outreach and education projects; and
• Performs other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Law Clerk-API” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A six-month introductory period will be required.
VACCINATION POLICY AND COVID-19 PROTOCOLS – LAFLA requires all staff, including new hires, to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) and have received at least one COVID-19 booster shot. If hired, all employees must present proof of vaccination by their start date.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
The company is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you require reasonable accommodation as part of the application process or expect to require an accommodation if hired, please contact email@example.com.
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Eligible employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.